SC - milk and srong flavors

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 21:13:03 PDT 2000

 trick to reduce the strong flavor in beef liver
(can't always get
calves
liver) is to soak it in milk for 1/2 an hour or so.
Also helps the
coating
stick, if you're breading or flouring it, although it
cooks just fine
without a coating of any sort.

This trick works for several things. I've used milk or
buttermilk to marinate catfish, venison, quail,
pheasant and a couple of things that I'm blanking on
right now. The catfish works really well. I've got a
friend who has always sworn she HATED catfish because
of the fishy taste until she tried it fixed this way.
We always left it in the fridge for at least a couple
of hours, dried it off and fixed it however you would
normally prepare it. Granted this probably isn't a
period cooking trick, but it had to come from
somewhere. ANd since there are kosher restrictions
against doing exactly this type of  thing (cooking
meat in milk) it may very well have been done then.
WHo knows?
Nisha