Service Styles (was Re: SC - re: Dayboard - feast crashers)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Sep 28 07:54:50 PDT 2000

> Which brings up a new question.

>     What is the custom in your kingdom as to serving style?  Does it vary
> from feast-to-feast, is it determined by the site logistics, the personal
> style of the feastcrat or is it pretty set by custom?

I've seen various styles used in Ansteorra.

The two most common are having dedicated servers volunteer ahead of
time and they serve the entire feast or the other is to have a member or
two for each table come up and grab a course.

The general service I've seen is a large platter of food either brought to
the table and served "family style" or the dedicated server giving each
diner a serving.

On the topic of "feast crashers" I have to relate a couple of incidents.
I often feel that a feast is another aspect of the hospitality of the group
and my old group usually gave feast as part of the event and site fee.
I also never took reservations and never limited the feast. I would plan
the approximate number of people who usually attended an event and
cook accordingly. That practice is beginning to wane for me since we
now have so many show up. The last couple of times I've been in charge
of cooking have been for around 500 people.  So now when I cook I'm
pretty much limiting feast to an easy 250 - 300. I guess I'm just getting
old.

The worst times I've had with people were one 12th Night when an additional
100 people showed up for an event than usual. I fed them but it was a bit
nerve-wracking.  The other time was when I had a specific number of feasts
sold, I think it was around 200, and around 50 people crashed the feast. It
was so bad that I had someone go off-sited and pick up some (ugh!) fried
chicken to stretch things. I still shudder over that one. This was a major
kingdom event and people were so upset at this rudeness that for quite
a while afterwards feast tokens were checked before anyone got served
at any feast. This was a sad state because before that time everyone was
considered family and nobody thought that folks would do such an action.
A little of the trust died at that event. Pity.

> I remain, in service to Meridies,
> Lady Celia des L'archier

Yers,

Gunthar