SC - new to list

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 11:35:06 PDT 2000

Mistress Christianna wrote:
>	However, here I have to stand up for my sirena.  My household (Mermayde
>Keepe) are the proud adoptive parents of the West Indian Manatee Ariel
>(good name for a bunch of mermaydes, eh?), and I would not take kindly to
>her or her kind turning up on feast menus.

Considering that they are endangered or close to it, they really
shouldn't show up on menus anywhere.

OT, but not OOP alert:
I am amazed at how quickly, what about 5 years?, a man's name has
become a girl's name, thanks to Walt Disney Corp. Ariel is a Hebrew
masculine name, and has been for millennia, meaning "lion of god". An
odd name for a mermaid.

Even Shakespeare used it for a male character in "The Tempest". But
all it takes is a popular cartoon and we've gone from "Lion of God"
to chicken of the sea...

Anahita al-shazhiyya