SC - Marble - Mortar & Pestle

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Fri Sep 1 10:33:54 PDT 2000

At 10:19 AM 9/1/00 -0700,Dana Huffman said something like:
>I'd grind the saffron before soaking so that it will --
>what's the word I want, infuse? dissolve? color? -- anyway,
>get into the liquid better.  Also, I understand that it is
>best to use a hot liquid if you have that option.  At
>least, that's what my paella book says.
>
>Dana/Ximena

The Calafian cook's guild has taken cooking classes at an Afghani
restaurant in San Diego a couple of times, and one of the things the
proprietor there emphasized was that he ALWAYS grinds up his saffron in a
little dish with sugar. The crystals in the sugar helped to powder/break up
the saffron far more completely. He only used a teaspoon or two of sugar,
so it would not affect the taste of the dish (much).  I imagine you could
also use a slight bit of salt the same way.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.