SC - Re: shortbread

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Sun Sep 3 03:48:32 PDT 2000

At 04:57 AM 9/3/00 -0500, Adamantius wrote:
> It is interesting to
>note that the flour is cooked first (not unprecedented for the culture
>represented), which would presumably remove some of the moisture so the
>moisture in the cream wouldn't result in a lot of gluten development

I make these quite often for dancing events where I serve finger-food; the
main difference I find in precooking the flour seems to be the _flavour_,
it gives the cookies a slightly nutty flavour which you don't get using
fresh flour.  Wonderful recipe!

Jehanne

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin)
Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, South Africa
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.