SC - testicles, wombs, penises and other tasty things

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 5 23:00:36 PDT 2000

Drake asked:
> Penis - (firstly, I'm sure my sys admin guys are gonna get these emails
> diverted to their 'dodgy email' checking account.) But, I've never found a
> Butcher who can get hold of Bull's Penises (will cow ones do? :)~ ).  What's
> the taste like, I'm assuming something like beef heart???

There is at least one recipe for this in this file in the FOOD section
of my files:
organ-meats-msg   (70K)  8/28/00    Period cooking of organ meats.

> ps. Anyone have a practical, documentable recipe for a Black (or any blood)
> Pudding?

I think there might be a recipe in the same file. Another one I would look
in is this one:
puddings-msg      (58K)  1/ 7/00    Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.

Is "puddings" really a good way to group both custard type puddings and
blood puddings? Where would you all look for each of these?

> pps. I have a friend who is planning to make preserved meats for our period
> encampment (I'll be bringing the cheeses).  Any pointers on documentation,
> sources, modern instructions, health regs, etc would be greatly appreciated.

drying-foods-msg  (35K)  8/24/99    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
food-storage-msg  (85K)  6/ 8/00    Storing and preserving food in
period. Non-
                                      refrigerated food for camping and Pennsic.
meat-smoked-msg    (8K)  9/17/99    Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.
pickled-food-msg (118K)  5/23/00    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
potted-foods-msg  (11K)  4/ 7/00    Cooked foods put in pots and sealed
w. fat.
stockfish-msg     (81K)  5/26/00    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked
and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.
vinegar-msg       (40K)  8/ 4/00    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
   (kind of goes along with the pickled-food-msg file mentioned above)

These may keep your friend busy for a while. :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net