SC - Platina Feast

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Wed Sep 6 09:38:40 PDT 2000

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:12:23 -0400
From: Gaylin <iasmin at home.com>
Subject: Re: SC - platina feast

Marian asked:

>While searching the web, I found an excellent page at
>godecookery.com detailing
>the Midrealm coronation feast of Dag and Elaynna.  The contact info that is
>listed everywhere in sight on the site gave me a bounce, so I'm
>going to have to
>ask the list these questions.

I was the head cook for that feast. It's a pleasure to meet you, Marian. :)
You can reach me at iasmin at home.com evenings and gwalli at ptc.com
most days.

- ---
Pleasure to meet you as well...

When I emailed isamin at home.com the message bounced.
- ---

>I recall some discussion here about this feast way back when, so I assume some
>of the cooks are on the list.  What was the final cost per head?

I fed a bit more than what's listed on the feast notes, so I'll have

- ---
and just how much weight did Midrealm's populace gain with this feast?  If the
nutritional information you listed is correct the feast was already over 4500
calories...
- ---

to refigure that out for you. I'll try to send the information when
I get into work tomorrow morning. I know a few other people on
the list had questions of a similar nature, so I'll just post it directly
to the list.

- ---
okay... and I'll ask my questions on the list for the same reason, there are
probably people here who will want to read the answers (or have other answers
:)...
- ---

I can tell you this: the test feast, which fed 4 people very fully and
2 cook/servers (me and my husband) cost me exactly 50$ US. And I
had  leftovers for both my husband and I for a day or two. I bought
everything for the test feast at full price. Nothing was on sale. I'm
confident the small-group cost could be brought down from that total
with not trouble at all.

- ---
Wonderful!!!!

(News of the hour... I showed the professor my printout of everything relevant
on the website and of the biographical sources given on the list and she's
looking particularly willing to do it.  In addition, in class, while flipping
pages to find a source I discovered that the cover photo of our main text is a
fresco of Guess Who being appointed librarian by Sixtus IV.)
- ---

>(I need to sell my prof on the idea of me doing this... :)

Please feel free to ask any questions about the feast or the recipes
if you have them. I'm sure I forgot to write some things down. Also,
if you'd like a copy of the booklet itself that I had printed out, I'd
be happy to send you one. It might be a little easier to carry around
and place on your counter top while you're cooking.

- ---
Yes.  PLEASE.

In fact, if you have multiple leftovers of the booklet, I'd be willing to pay
shipping and handling or pay for the booklets.

Right now the only questions I've really got relate to what pages in Milham the
translated recipe came from.  This however isn't necessary until after the book
arrives via ILL.

>Where does one get dried elderflowers and some of the other exotic
>ingredients?

I obtained elder flowers from a massively discounted order from
The San Francisco Herb Company (www.sfherb.com). Good prices,
but you don't need to order a minimum US$ order if you go
through the Pepperer's Guild. The Guild's contact information has
been posted on list, but if you forget, it's in the reference info
if the coronation feast write-up. The sources for nearly all the
feast ingredients were either listed in the reference section
of the manual or obtained from local large chain grocery stores
in metro-Detroit.

- ---
Which means I'll probably have to go shopping in DC rather than down the street
as this town has a dearth of "local large chain grocery stores" let alone fancy
stuff.
- ---

Do keep in contact,

- ---