SC - Re: Use of Medicinal Metals

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Sep 6 16:17:45 PDT 2000

Catherine Deville wrote:

> Colloidal Gold is still used in modern medicine in arthritis remedies...
> my herbal topical pain relief rub includes it.

The gold in arthritis remediws is *injected*, last I knew. Topical
applications of just about anything provide only the relief that comes
from the massage- and some surface action if it has eucalyptus/menthol,
etc. As with the $20/jar face creams, herbal rubs smell nice and feel
good, but facts are- the active agents don't cross the skin. So they are
effective for skin problems, but not for joint problems.

> And colloidal silver is used as a general anti-bacterial, anti-fungal,
> anti-viral because it will kill most bugs.

Silvadene Cream is right sovereign- it is used especially for burn
victims. We used it on my daughter after she was burned, and it was
nearly miraculous- with no scarring

Other metals are in use and we don't even think about it. Calcium is
frequently sold in a compound with chelated magnesium. Calcium Magnesium
is more readily absorbed in the gut than is oyster shell calcium or even
most of the calcium carbonate sold over the counter. (I don't think you
could start a fire with it though ;-) Zinc is also VERY popular of late
(though as usual, there are drawbacks if you take too much). Lithium (a
heavy metal) has been in use medicinally for about 40 years.

> "Mainstream" aleopathic medicine is becoming more and more aware of the
> validity of homeopathic and naturopathic medicine and less critical of
> natural cures which have always been based on "anecdotal evidence" as more
> of those cures are being born out by medical studies (now that someone is
> finally investing in *doing* those studies.)  PDR now publishes a PDR
> Herbal to go with their desk reference of drugs (my physician has one in
> his office and uses it regularly.)

Many of our modern medicines started out as medicinal herbs. What we
need on 'modern' herbals are a) controlled studies- many of these herbs
we don't even have the active ingredient isolated, and b) better
standardization/monitoring for strength and dosage. They vary a great
deal. Take a look at the label of a couple of different brands of St.
John's Wort, for instance. The amount of active compounds are seldom the
same. When my son was taking it a few years ago, his doctor (who
suggested it) tipped me off to check the labels and look for a certain
range in the compound. Interestingly enough, I remember that one of the
brands had about twice as much as another, and yet they were the same
price. If we can go to the pharmacy counter and get a bottle of tablets
that are each 10mg of whatever, than we shouldn't we expect something
like a standard in our herbals? Right now they are virtually
unregulated- you could pick up a bottle of 'St. John's Wort' that has
only a tiny bit of St. John's Wort and a lot of alfalfa.

It is very good that there is a PDR Herbal- alot of folks aren't aware
of possible counteractions and contraindications. Education, information
and awareness- those are the keys...

'Lainie