SC - shortbread/-cakes & salad

Thu Sep 7 11:31:41 PDT 2000

Markham's jumbals recipe uses a pound of sugar to a pound of flour, which is
the only thing similar giving a weight.

By the end of the 16th Century, sugar was a moderately expensive staple of
English cooking.  There was a considerable trade in sugar between Egypt and
England from the time Henry VIII turned Protestant until the English began
refining sugar in Barbados in the 17th Century with Dutch financing.

I don't recall seeing anything definitive on the Elizabethan sugar trade,
but the references I've seen suggest it might make an interesting study, if
one could locate the appropriate manifests.

Bear