SC - looking for origin of the word "peel"

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 7 20:36:27 PDT 2000

I tried to post this yesterday, but I haven't seen it, so I'm
trying again from home this time.

Stefan
- ------------------
Today, I had an inquiry from Michael Sohocki, a student
at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY.

>But my question is this--what is the derivation
>of the term "peel"?

By this he means the wooden paddle used to move
food into and out of medieval ovens. As he gave me
a very good description of the item, when I wasn't
sure which definition of "peel" he was referring to,
he doesn't need info on the item, just some info on
where the name is derived from.

I'm hoping one of you with access to the OED or other
similar work can answer his question.

He is not on this list. Please email him with any replies
as well as the list. His email address is: wuvzfud at yahoo.com

He also said:
> I know that your website is more geared toward the
> chemistry-end of the baking, history, and reactions,
> but I figured from the text I've read that the
> congregation of brains on the other end of this site
> was quite a formidable power. Perhaps you could
> suggest a contact for me, to help me discover the
> punch line of my riddle? Thank you for your time.

He also offered:
> p.s.--I would be greatly interested in being a part of
> this organization. I don't know what information you
> need that I could contribute, but if you would like to
> try me, I am more than willing to volunteer anything I
> have gained from my education here, and am at your
> disposal. Write me all you like, I will do my best to
> help you.

I'm hoping I can convince him to join this list, if not the
SCA.

Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net