SC - desserts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 10 18:50:10 PDT 2000

Nisha commented in the hummus thread:
> I have never really made a concentrated effort to do
> period foods except for a few desserts. And what I did
> there, was take things I knew they had, and combined
> them in a way that I thought made sense. I didn't have
> a recipe to translate or anything. Like I have said
> before I'm relatively new to this part of the whole
> SCA experience compared to so many on this list. I
> have been cooking for several years, including some
> food service time. BUt the period food seems to be a
> whole nother ball game.

As we have discussed desserts, at least what we consider
desserts, a number of times perhaps looking over some
of our previous discussions and recipes might help you
ease your climb up the learning curve.

The concept of sweet things at the end of the meal and
only (or at least mainly) at the end of the meal appears
to be a Renniesance and later idea.

Anyway, take a look at some of the files, such as these, in
the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section of my Florilegium:
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
chocolate-msg     (40K)  2/28/00    History and description of early chocolate.
cookies-msg       (57K)  1/12/00    Period cookies. Recipes.
desserts-msg      (78K)  1/11/00    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  1/31/00    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
honey-msg         (11K)  5/25/99    Period use of honey.
marmalades-msg    (53K) 12/20/99    Period marmalades and fruit jellies
and jams
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses
& Sugar"
                                       by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
sugar-msg        (102K) 12/ 8/99    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                       Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.

>  I ask a little patience if I come
> up with what may seem to most of you to be obvious questions.

I've seen little impatience here with folks asking what might seem to be
obvious questions. I've certainly asked enough such questions here,
enough to probably get a reputation for it. Some though, have lead
to surprisingly large amounts of conversation and discussion.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net