SC - Suggestions & Review Requested.

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Sep 11 17:39:20 PDT 2000

RE: Mulled cider spices.  I "do" mulled cider every year for our Harvest
Court event. I keep it hot by using a really clean extra-large
(church-sized <g>) coffee pot/percolator.  That way it stays hot all
day, and doesn't tie up my (usually limited) stove space.  I've also
found that by putting the spice blend in the top basket part, where the
coffee normally goes, I get a good flavoring of spice, without it
becoming overwhelming or "stewed" tasting.  I use a blend of whole
spices, including cinnamon, citrus peel (lemon or orange), cubebs,
galingale, nutmeg, sometimes grains of paradise, a few peppercorns, and
a small amount of whole cloves (real small--they get overpowering really
quickly).  Also, if finances are a consideration, buy frozen apple juice
and use that for the cider, instead of the more-expensive,
harder-to-transport glass jugs.
Re: Strainer for Cream Bastarde.  If IIRC, the strainer is used more to
strain out those little tiny bits/strings of egg white that always
reminded me of an umbilical cord for the yolk.  I _think_ Stefan's
posted Lady Constance's documentation on this yummy stuff in the
Florilegium (bad grammar, but I think the point gets across <g>).
- --Maire