SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Sep 12 14:27:15 PDT 2000

> So would I.  I never said they were used at lunches (which concept itself is
> not period, BTW) I also don't recall anyone qualifying that the 'pretzels'
> were modern hard pretzels. I also wrote that orange slices were period. I
> never wrote that they were eaten out of hand.
> Perhaps things wouldn't blow out of proportion if folks wouldn't add words to
> what is actually written or try to read between the lines. :-)

Acgtually, from what I've read, the concept of the noon meal(served
sometime between 11 am and 1 pm) is eminently period. I'm not sure about
the dayboard, but I have some references tofood being served all day at
certain functions in Polish hisotry so that might qualify. I'm not sure
aht you mean by the 'lunch concept'-- A light meal eaten in the middle of
the day?

As for the other questions about oranges eaten out of hand, I'm afraid
that when you say in reference to serving a food in a particular way--
orange slices== that it is period, some people will not disinter the fact
that it is merely the ingredient, not the method of preparation, that is
period. I keep hoping that someone will find a mention of oranges being
eaten raw and out of hand, since they are such a boon to dayboards in
summer.

What recipes do you use for your pretzels? I had gathered from the recent
discussion that period pretzels were rather more sweet than salty?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

" Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!" -- Kipling