SC - Looking for Black Bread Recipie

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 13 08:14:23 PDT 2000

jenne at tulgey.browser.net writes:
<< Um, Yana, when you say that, is it because there are no bread _recipes_ or
is it because there's something weird about 'black bread' that might not be
period? >>
 >IIRC, most black bread recipes contain molasses as an ingredient. This
may be
 >what she is referring to.
 >Ras

Correct.  All modern recipes (English as well as Russian) that I have seen
include (either singly or in some combination) coffee, molasses, or
cocoa.  I had someone (not in the SCA) try to tell me that since Russia had
connections with the Silk Road and therefore the Middle East that of course
they would have used molasses and coffee as colorant/flavoring agents, but
I'm not buying it.  As I said, I am continually digging for information and
will let people know when I find something interesting and useful.

It may simply be that there was no "black bread" in the Russia of our
period but only medium-dark brown breads.  My guess is that a darker bread
was more highly favored (it is today) and with the introduction of
molasses, cocoa, and coffee, it was possible to get a rich, darker-colored,
and deep-tasting bread.

- --Yana