SC - anthro thoughts OT

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Wed Sep 13 10:41:25 PDT 2000

>    Hell the List!

Well, Hell to you, too ;)

>    My Mommy Mode twitches at this  --  Calontir encourages irresponsible
>behavior?   Arriving at Events ill-prepared is childish behavior,  and they

>let these people have weapons??  > Twitch<
            <snip>
>    Helping those who've left things behind is a blessing,  but allowing
>grown people to be helpless and in need of care is usually labeled
>"enabling."  <now my Mental Health Mode is twitching>

I tend to believe the best of people until they prove themselves to be schmucks.
 Gets me in trouble sometimes, but oh, well.

Since we weren't told WHY some Calontiri arrive unprepared, I would consider
the possibility that they are travelling a long way, possibly by train or by
car pool, and can't carry all that stuff with them.  They may send blankets
out with others, or ask people to bring something for them, and head to the
grocery store in the morning.  I don't travel nearly as far as they do, and
I don't waste packing space and gas by bringing food with me.  I go grocery
shopping when I get in, or the next morning.

Or, how many people don't plan to go to War because they can't afford it, but
are talked into it by friends who offer to pay their way because they really
want them to be there?  In my younger, poorer days, I went to Pennsic without
a nickle, babysitting to earn my keep.  I had no food other than what my benefactors
gave me.

>    Another note from a different message spoke of the Calontir Army
>traveling without their families. (hence, the need for a Field Support
>Kitchen)   What fun is that?  I know if  MY  Spousal Unit left to go to war

>without me,  she'd be packing a WHOLE lot more than her armour bag!

I know several people who's spouses simply don't LIKE the SCA and who therefore
come to War alone.  Those spouses are happy with the arrangement.  I've also
known people who came alone because their spouse was pregnant/bogged down with
school work/otherwise occupied, and the spouse wasn't at all peeved.  Some situations
are inconvienient or annoying, but that's life.  I wouldn't begrudge my fiance
the chance to attend because I had to travel on business or preprare for an
exam.  That wouldn't neccisarily hold true, of course, if I wasn't going because
we were flat broke or I was 8 months and 3 weeks pregnant.

I didn't read all the Field Kitchen posts, so I apologize if these points have
already been discussed.  However, I hate to see someone critisized for actions
that could be perfectly innocent, due to a lack of information about their motives.

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe