SC - Protectorate Feast 3 - Menu

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Sep 14 08:35:46 PDT 2000

> On to the menu and the sources.  The marmalade is actually an orange
> preserve.  I have some reservations about the authenticity of the whiting
> recipe, but I'm giving Brears the benefit of the doubt.  And I can't locate
> the citation for the original source of the shrewsbery cakes.
>
> Bear

The menu looks very nice and I appreciate the information you will be posting
as well. I do have one question about it though.

It seems a bit overly sweet without much savory or vinegar to temper it.
You have jumbles, marmelade, orange sauce, apple & wine sauce, sweet tart,
sweet potatoes, rice pudding and Shrewsbery cakes.

Also everything there is fairly soft. There should be some crunch for
each course to off-set the softness of the rest of the dishes.

Perhaps instead of the sweet spinach tart you make benes y'fried or even just
cooked greens. Or put a salat into the meal. Since I'm unfamiliar with the
taste of the orance sauce or apple&wine sauce I'm not sure how sweet they
are but I do feel that a texture difference should be added.

Just some observations.

Yers,

Gunthar