SC - period dishes for Ari

Serian serian at uswest.net
Fri Sep 15 06:44:58 PDT 2000

Ari,
Here is an example of something I did.  I know some of the
cooks here assembled think this is a "backwards" way to go
about things, but I have some family recipes that go back to
the early 1800s in our family's reckoning at least.  An
example are waffle cookies/pizzelles.  I found recipes for
wafers, which are very similar, in Le Menagier de Paris.
For an A&S I made some of those wafers (which sounded odd
but were quite tasty) and also included for comparison
purposes some of the family recipe of pizzelles.  People
seemed to find this quite interesting.  I have another
recipe planned to try that are also related to a favorite
family recipe.

Now, sometimes I take a different approach and just look
through a Medieval cookbook for yummy recipes.  For example,
I'm looking for a stew to make for competition.  I've found
some interesting way to spice foods that might not have
otherwise occurred to me.  One time I made what I called d
"Medieval hot pockets" by browning ground beef and adding
cinnamon and a couple other spices that we mundanely don't
often use with beef, then put it all into dough.

I think either approach is fine - just depends on what you
want.  My tracking down of wafer recipes lead me to wonder
just when butter became a common thing in them, and I'm
still tracking down that "missing link."

I don't know if this is remotely helpful to you, but I hope
so.

In Service,
Serian