SC - jerky documentation?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 15 08:10:09 PDT 2000

Serian wrote:

> Yes, these were sunny
> places, but a number of other nomadic or semi-nomadic
> peoples were in climates where drying something would be
> possible.

Sure, it's just that for the most art, they don't seem to have done it
quite that way. There are things like Bundnerfliesch from Switzerland,
and South African biltong, both air-dried beef, but these are almost
closer to prosciutto than to jerky. Same for basturma, bresaola, etc.,
and I don't know whether any of these is actually a period food.

> No, convenience isn't, IMO, the only value of jerky.  It is
> a good source of protein that is light to carry and doesn't
> spoil, and this is handy for events that do not have a
> midday meal or for times when you don't have access to such
> luxuries as refrigeration.  It is useful for people that are
> having a blood sugar problem that requires something more
> than pure glucose.  It also tastes good (when made well, of
> course), which is to me of great value.  At a weekend event
> I served myself and friends, among other things, jerky with
> various mustards.

OK, so I misunderstood what you meant by "SCA use". Sorry! I was
thinking of the SCA in its recreation aspect, and had lumped the
explanations above under convenience because there are other things that
do what you're describing, and are perhaps more appropriate period foods
for Europeans, but are less convenient.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy