SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2601

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 13:44:46 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/15/00 3:24:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Niccolo writes:

> What size grind are you using for your meat?  I find a 3/8 blade is what I
> prefer, coarse and meaty texture.  I also like the fact that you are
testing
> as you go.  I suspect the lucanian is a very saltly sausage that is eaten
in
> smaller quantities, or maybe as a favoring (sort of like choriz) rather
thana
> brat type meal sausage.

We used the 3/8 blade as well. I also like the coarse texture.

>  Your brats look great too!  Did you consciously decide not to add fat to
> this one?  I would suspect it was becasue the recipe did not call for it; I
> found this recipe a bit dry for my taste without added fat, maybe because
my
> meat was leaner than yours.  I used check and pork shoulder, and about 1/2
> pound lard added per pound of meat.

I just followed the recipe. Weserlin does give instruction in another recipe

23 If you would make a good sausage for a salad
Then take ten pounds of pork and five pounds of beef, always two
parts pork to one part of beef. That would be fifteen pounds. To that
one should take eight ounces of salt and two and one half ounces of
pepper, which should be coarsely ground, and when the meat is
chopped, put into it at first two pounds of bacon, diced. According
to how fat the pork is, one can use less or more, take the bacon from
the back and not from the belly. And the sausages should be firmly
stuffed. The sooner they are dried the better. Hang them in the
parlor or in the kitchen, but not in the smoke and not near the oven,
so that the bacon does not melt. This should be done during the
crescent moon, and fill with the minced meat well and firmly, then
the sausages will remain good for a long while. Each sausage should
be tied above and below and also fasten a ribbon on both ends with
which they should be hung up, and every two days they should be
turned, upside down, and when they are fully dried out, wrap them in
a cloth and lay them in a box."

  which does allow you some leeway as to whether or not to add fat. I intend
on working with this and several other recipes.

>  Great looking processes and recipes.  I'm a strong flavored sausage fan,
and
> these look good.  Last question:  Will you use hot or cold smoke when you
> smoke these?

Thanks. So far they have been hot smoked as it is not my smoker and I have to
find alternatives if I want it done another way. Any suggestions?

Hauviette