SC - Manteca (was Emulsified Sauces)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Sep 18 15:34:42 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 18 Sep 00,, that Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> Thanks, Brighid, for posting your translation of the Almodrote recipe.  I
> just have one question: the word in the source text, if I recall
> correctly, is "manteca", which usually translates as "lard".  "Butter"
> would be "mantequilla" or "little lard".  It was my understanding that the
> use of butter was not widespread in Spain or Southern Italy in period;
> also, since De Nola recommends using lard for everything unless
> specifically forbidden, it mightmake sense to translate "manteca" as lard.

::sigh:: thank you.  That's what proof-reading is for.  Unfortunately, some
of the translation was done when I was less familiar with the Spanish
culinary terms, so I have to go back and make sure that everything gets
corrected and updated.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Actually, "manteca" can mean butter, according to the 1726 RAE
dictionary.  However, the primary meaning is fat, usually lard.  I have
been generally translating "manteca" as "fat", "manteca de vacas" as
"butter" and "manteca de puerco" or "unto de puerco" as "lard".
Interestingly enough, the 1726 RAE does have a listing for
"mantequilla", which it defines as "cierto genero de pasta que se hace
con manteca de vacas, muy batida y suave, con azucar."  "A certain
type of paste which is made with cow's butter, well beaten and smooth,
with sugar."  I wonder when "mantequilla" came into use as the primary
term for butter.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann