SC - food bashing

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 19 15:54:18 PDT 2000

Adamantius said:
> I happen not to like it, which is actually irrelevant. Any criticism of
> it that I have made, and the entirety of it is quoted above, other than
> the question of egg content, has been in response to direct and
> unwarranted value judgement. Person A says, "I use MW." Person B says,
> "I don't care for MW, thanks, I prefer mayo." Person A, assuming a
> personal attack when there has been none, responds with "Mayo bites the
> wax tadpole!" Person B says, "Wax tadpole? Are you insane? It's much
> better than that pale imitation with an inferiority complex!" Etc. etc.,
> und so weiter. Who is the basher here? One can argue that both have
> bashed, but ultimate responsibility is with Person A. Armed camps were
> formed after the fact, and this is how wars begin. It is through
> saber-rattling that they continue, and often that is disguised as a plea
> for peace.

Hmmm... interesting how you take specific comments of analysis based on
personal preference as "value judgements".

Also interesting is the fact that you see person A as being responsible for
offering offense when perhaps none was intended rather than analyzing
whether or not person B might have been simply a tad too sensitive and
defensive and *took* offense where none was offered :-)   But perhaps, just
as you assumed that Lady Tyrca was biased because (using her analogy) from
your pov she belongs in 'Camp' A while you belong in 'Camp' B.

Some of us, however, regardless of our preferences, have simply been trying
to *share* our experiences and our own analysis of the taste components of
the two substances as we percieve them.  Just from a purely personal
standpoint (of course, and it should go without saying), I see a
qualitative difference between saying that you find something bland and
comparing it to bathroom caulking.  But perhaps that's just my perception
or calling it "insipid" or "upstart" or other such emotionally charged
words.  But then, apparently "bland" is an emotionally charged word to some
cooks ;-)

> By the way, jam omelettes are part of the same _classical_ tradition
> that mayonnaise belongs to...

hmmmm.... by "classical", so you mean historically so (i.e., Greco-Roman in
origin?)  I'd be interested in what you mean by this statement as I'm
intrigued to learn more.

with respect and  as always, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier