SC - Food, Indulgences and Novens

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Sep 20 15:31:00 PDT 2000

<<<<<I did this last year, I had made a Flathonys in Lent for our Arts and
Sciences Competition as the event was being held later than usual and was
in Lent, when I got there and realized that I had prepared the crust with
butter!  I finally struck on the idea of having fra niccolo write up an
indulgence for me, which forgave my sin.  I placed it alongside the
recipes and documentation.  The judges liked it ;)
Christianna  >>>>>>

You could even add waht acts you performed in acquisition of the indulgence.  A Novena is a good one.  I even recommend doing one to get the experience. Itconsists, and did in early times, of 54 rosaries done on a strict schedule without variance.  The penitent decides the schedule and then adheres to it.  There are more details, but that is the bare bones of it.

I am planning to embark on one with some specific goals in mind involving food allownaces and Lent.  I have lots of time to get there.  These can be for individuals or for groups, BTW.  It is an interesting manner of experiencing that aspect of the middle ages culture personally.  Many ways to 'earn' indulgences, so look for some and have fun with them.

fra niccolo difrancesco