Peri-oid or Modern Adaptions for Trenchers (was Re: SC - Trenchers (was Sweet Spinach Tart))

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 21 12:08:34 PDT 2000

I said:

> > it occurs to me that you could make these with wheat flour (I
> > buy whole
> > wheat organic bread flour at my health food store in bulk),
> > add a little
> > gluten to compensate,

and Bear replied:
> Why worry about gluten?  Trenchers aren't to be eaten, and whole wheat
flour
> should have enough gluten.  Add a little yeast if you want more rise,
> although you don't want too much rise or the upper crust will slope to
the
> edges (a no-no for trenchers).  If you use whole wheat flour with the
graham
> still in it, you'll have a rough equivalent to the flour used to make
> wastel.

ummm... well, you're probably right.  I just automatically add gluten when
using whole wheat flour to make bread, but now that you mention it this
*is* to ensure that I get a "lighter" loaf, which is not necessary (and
possibly not even desirable), so not that I think of it you're probably
right.  And adding yeast shouldn't be necessary, there's already a
sufficient amount in the beer.

I said:
> put them into an 8x8 square pan instead
> > of the 8 inch
> > round the recipe calls for and haver very presentable
> > peri-oid trenchers...

and Bear replied:
> An 8 inch round, makes a square just under 6 inches on a side.  If you
could
> get a 10x10, you could cut the loaf into quarters and make 8 trenchers at
> time.

O.K.... confession here... I like to leave the crusts on.  and our
trenchers were palatable (quite good actually, especially with some of the
darker, imported beers), so we did tend to eat part of them as they soaked
up juices. <blush!>  not period I know (now!) but quite enjoyable ;-)

as for a 10x10... you can probably get either a 10x10 or a 10x12 (which
would allow for some waste) baking pan at Michael's or an equivalent craft
store or any specialty cooking or baking store.

further, Bear noted:
> The real drawback to making trenchers for feasts is the need for oven
> capacity 4 days in advance

We spread the baking out among the shire members and then froze them as we
got them baked (after they cooled of course and before we split them.)
Then they would thaw out on the journey to the event.  But we generally
only made enough for the shire, which was pretty small at the time.  These
loaves were dense enough that we didn't have to dry them.

Judging from the amount of time the left over loaves lasted after an event,
we didn't have much of a problem with spoilage either.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier