SC - Period Restaurant?

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Sep 23 20:31:30 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 23 Sep 00,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> But as Phillipa states, there are indeed several
> recipes for oysters (mostly pottages as I recall), and some for lobsters
> (basic cooking and serving instructions, maybe not recipes per se) in the
> medieval English and French corpus, and probably other cultures as well.

Nola says that one cannot make perfect blancmange of fish without
lobster (the other main ingredient is pandora).  Granado has several
recipes for lobster, most of which involve mixing the chopped meat with
other ingredients (lobster meatballs, stuffed lobster, etc.).  Villena in the
_Arte de Cortar_ gives instructions for "carving" a lobster and removing
its meat.

Platina says that lobsters are not good unless boiled alive, but then
adds that one can also pry them open, pour in pepper sauce, and roast
them on the grill.

> Adamantius

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)