SC - Definitions and Examples: Period, Peri-oid and OOP

Mon Sep 25 14:16:16 PDT 2000

Having had some reasonable complaints about the term "Authenticity Nazi(s),"
I now refer to these individuals as "Authenticity Mavens," since they
usually claim far greater expertise than a poor amateur culinary historian
and historic cook such as I.

Such individuals may be knowledgable, but they seem prone to making sweeping
generalization about period based on limited and very selective facts.  The
research may be solid, but the conclusions are faulty.  These individuals
also are prone to making blanket judgements of other people's work ("That's
not period.") without providing a clue about how they arrived at the
conclusion.

The poor lad who proclaims the periodness of the baked potato, while he is
obviously mistaken, also may not be preceptive enough to tell the difference
between an amateur historian politely trying to correct his error and the
Authenticity Maven set on publicly demonstrating the lad's ignorance.  You
might be better off publishing your article on the history of the potato to
prove the lad's mistake to others rather than try to change his mind.  It
might be easier on your ears.

Bear