SC - Definitions and Examples: Period, Peri-oid and OOP

Mon Sep 25 15:11:41 PDT 2000

> One thing I think about from time to time: there is an
> assumption in this
> list that every recipe that appeared in the cookery books accurately
> represents a recipe that was cooked multiple times.

No, the assumption is that it represents a recipe which was significant
enough to be written down.  The fact that there is a historical path for
some of these recipes between various cookbooks suggests that they may have
been widely used.  Blancmange is almost ubiquitous.  Two of the four known
bread recipes, three hundred years apart are for rastons.  Catalan recipes
appear in Martino who is copied by Platina, which is the first known printed
cookbook, which went through many editions in many countries.

There is also an
> assumption that the advice of period diet doctors is an accurate
> representation of period food practice among the majority of the
> population who could afford it.

Galen's Methodus Medendo forms the basis for most of the medical knowledge
of Europe and the Islamic World.  The instructions for preparing meat in a
number of cookbooks suggests that cooks were knowledgable about Galen's
theories and followed his health advice for the benefit of their patrons.

My impression from medical
> history is that
> while many people who were concerned about their healths, bored, or
> otherwise given to quacking themselves, did follow the advice of
> physicians, there were plenty of people who didn't bother
> and/or disagreed
> with the theories of physicians.
>
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

Yes, but those who could afford cooks would have wound up eating "healthily"
without realizing it.  Most of the recipes we have originate in wealthy,
noble household, which makes it highly probably the recipes were prepared
for those patrons.

Bear