SC - Removes and Feastocrat

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 26 03:38:52 PDT 2000

Catherine Deville wrote:

> If it is not medieval, then how does it show up in period table settings?
> I'm sure it's just the way I'm reading it, but to me these two statements
> contradict each other.  Clarification, please?

Because (and this is an excellent example of the pitfalls of using the
word "period" as a catchphrase) it shows up in table settings of the
period referred to, which is more than 100 years post-SCA-period.

> And just for clarification, what *we* called a "remove", a group of courses
> which went out at the same time, *was* "removed" when the next "remove"
> came out.  (That's why I understood that it was _called_ a "remove".)

Well, it makes sense. Like a lot of other things that make sense,
penicillin, for example (they had blue mold _and_ distillation!) it
turns out not to have been done that way, or at least we haven't found
any evidence that it was. On the other hand, we have menus and other
SCA-period textual references to feasts being served in courses (in
English texts, French texts seem generally to refer to services, I
believe, but someone more familiar with French texts _in French_ would
know more).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy