SC - Re: Lenten Feasts

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Sep 26 09:13:15 PDT 2000

> "Feast and Fast" I think would be a good resource for those
> interested in fast day traditions.  In that book, I believe there is
> a passage that mentions the belief that Sundays were observed as
> feast days regardless of season.
> pacem et bonum,
> niccolo difrancesco

	In fact, the reason Lent begins on a Wednesday is so that it is still 40
days long, not counting the Sundays.
	Christianna

Ash Wednesday* - 1st day of Lent. Originally, it used to start on a
Sunday.  Since the fasts did not apply to Sunday, Pope Gregory in the 6th
or 7th century moved it back to the preceding Wednesday, so that it would
make the period of fasting exactly 40 weekdays.