SC - peanut oil...

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 11:37:32 PDT 2000

Is the allergen some people are sensitive to present
in peanut oil?
yes, even tho it is in smaller amounts in the oil, it
can still cause an allergic reaction in some people
who are extremely sensitive to it. My dad is one of
those people. (he's also allergic to soy and corn
oil,not as severely as he is to peanut, but he
basically doesn't eat anything fried when he's out)
But if he gets peanut ANYTHING, he goes into hives and
his throat starts swelling up, and so do his hands and
face. It's pretty ugly.
Food allergies are not fun. They run in our family.
But I've learned to ask questions whether things are
posted or not. It's my health issue, and it's up to me
to make sure I dont eat or drink anything that will
make me sick. I Usually call ahead of a feast and ask
my questions then, and then touch base with the cook
at the event to make sure nothing has changed. Usually
I do that by volunteering to help in the kitchen when
I can. That way I can catch the person I need to talk
to when they have a few minutes of down time or while
we are both doing something productive. (Like chopping
or kneading or mixing) But that's just my opinion as
someone who does have to deal with several food
allergies as a part of her everyday life.
Nisha