SC - OT - "Bob" and the Black Adder - was, Master of the Hall?

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Wed Sep 27 16:17:38 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Olwen the Odd wrote:
> >
> > At the risk of sounding like I live under a bushel--
> > What is Blackadder II?

> There's a second (and to my mind, superior) series, in which the
> great-grandson of the original Prince Edmund, Lord Edmund Blackadder, is
> an impecunious courtier to Queen Elizabeth I, and in one episode
> Blackadder finds himself strangely attracted to his servant, "Bob", who
> is secretly a girl in disguise, fleeing the poverty of her childhood
> home to seek her fortune in London.
>
> Future series focus on Mr. Edmund Blackadder, butler to Prinnie, a.k.a
> The Prince Regent, later to be George IV of England, on Captain Edmund
> Blackadder, scheming to avoid the impending order to go Over The Top of
> the trenches in France, c. ~1916 C.E., and on excessively kind and
> generous banker Ebenezer Blackadder, taken advantage of by one and all,
> until being visited by three spirits who teach him the true meaning, and
> value, of being an S.O.B.

If I'm recall correctly:

Black Adder _I_ (the first show) is Prince Edmund, grand nephew to
Richard III
Black Adder _II_ is Lord Edmund Blackadder in Queen Elizabeth's court
Black Adder III is Mr. Edmund Blackadder, butler to the Prince Regent
Black Adder Goes Forth is Captain Blackadder in the trenches.

If you noticed, there is a definite downward trend in the Blackadder
social status.

'Lainie has been known to show potential SOs episodes of Black Adder to
filter out those lacking in compatible humour to hers. :) Although there
is that one who didn't like it, but hasn't gotten the hint yet. Maybe
some pennyroyal might keep him away....

Seumas
- --
Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
Bruyerecourt.