Service Styles (was Re: SC - re: Dayboard - feast crashers)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 27 19:28:54 PDT 2000

Lady Celia des L'archier wrote:
>     What is the custom in your kingdom as to serving style?  Does it vary
>from feast-to-feast, is it determined by the site logistics, the personal
>style of the feastcrat or is it pretty set by custom?   Someone said
>something about some feastcrat sending out courses plated... I can't see
>how that would be possible when folks bring their own feast gear.  I once
>sent out my courses "plated" (so to speak)  for the entire table (i.e., one
>wooden trencher set with 8 servings for each table per server) but that is
>the closest that I've ever seen to plated courses at an SCA feast.  Has
>this become common?  Or is it an oddity that happened once to someone?

The feasts i've attended in the West, and this is a very slight
number, given my limited time in the SCA, have all had a platter of
each dish per table, or per two tables, depending on how big the
tables were.

The diners served themselves. If one table wasn't eating something
and another table was digging in, a platter might get passed on.

Head table has more individualized service, and at least one time,
had some different food - the Boar Hunt features LOTS of pork, and
the royalty didn't eat pork for religious reasons, so they had turkey
sausages and chicken.

Anahita al-shazhiyya