SC - Definitions and Examples: Period, Peri-oid and OOP

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 09:35:32 PDT 2000

Bear wrote:

> White potatoes were known in period and sometimes were eaten, but there is
> nothing
> to indicate they were used for much beyond poverty fare.  So serving them at
> a noble banquet, would be a major anachronism.  Thus it could be said that
> potatoes are "period" and that potatoes are not "period."  Both statements
> are technically correct, but without modifying information they are
> misleading.

This gives me a wicked notion for a two-course banquet, "Rich and Poor."  First
course to be the kinds of foods that only the rich could afford in period [now
common fare like Chicken and White Bread], and the second made up of 'poverty
fare,' say, lobster, potatoes and wild salad.  I need some more input on what
goes where, but this could be quite educational.

Selene
selene at earthlink.net