SC - re: New to the List

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Sep 28 11:10:15 PDT 2000

<<<<<<<Hi all, I've just started to dabble into medieval cooking and my first interest turns towards Italian and specifically Sicilian fare. I was hoping that people on thelist could send me links to recipies and techniques, offer resources in general or might even be good enough to send me recipies. My goal is to eventually feastacrat and offer such a theme.    Thanks  Phil de Sancto Martino >>>>>

Welcome!!  You have joined at just the right time.  (It is always just the right time).
We are a merry band of passionate cooks and scholars who love food, hhistorical
recreation and each other.  We are opinionated, kind, insightful, stubborn, wise, in
short good people all.

As for Sicilian far, I would mention that what we now know as Sicily was inhabited by
many peoples over the centuries, so it would be useful to know what time period you
are interested in, and who had recently inhabited the lands.  AS for italian Cuisines,
a new book is published this year called _Neapolitan Cuisine_ by Terence Scully
and is from late 15th century Naples.  The culture, IIRC from the info, is similar and
possibly even ruled by the same King at that time.  There are also Catalan (Spain)
influences on the recipe collection.  Good book as it gives original latin, translation
to modern English and commentary/background on recipes and the manuscript.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco