SC - OOP - OT- Chelsea as name

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 29 07:38:50 PDT 2000

>>I told him it's a baby boomer thing, some song about Chelsea.
>
>I think it's "Chelsea Hotel" by Leonard Cohen.
>
>Vicente
>(Packrat minds in action)

Unpack that rat!

It's "Chelsea Morning" written and recorded by Joni Mitchell, and
recorded by some other singers, too.

Leonard Cohen's song "Chelsea Hotel" doesn't date to the 60's or
early 70's. It's a reminiscence, so to speak. For a Buddhist he often
sounds rather cynical.

A page about Leonard Cohen's connection to the Chelsea Hotel and a
bit of Chelsea Hotel history with photos:
http://www.nebula.simplenet.com/cohen/chelsea.html

I was there and i've got the vinyl to prove it - Leonard Cohen on
vinyl, that is. I never bought any Joni M. because you could hear
practically all her stuff on the radio, but only a few of Cohen's
songs made it to the radio.

The Chelsea Hotel in New York City was home to many artists and
strange characters, some of whom made it into Andy Warhol films.
Heck, he even made the movie "Chelsea Girls" there.

Of course, a place this famous (Mark Twain wrote here, Dylan Thomas
died here, Sid Vicious murdered Nancy here) has its own web site:
http://www.hotelchelsea.com

I lived not terribly far from it for much of the late 60's. Maybe i
shouldn't admit all this, though. You know what they say, if you can
remember the 60's, you weren't there.

OB Food content: I used to eat breakfast and do laundry in the
Chelsea neighborhood when i lived in a loft a block north of Union
Square, since there wasn't anyplace to do laundry any closer - It was
all light industrial lofts around Union Square in those days,
although Andy Warhol's loft "The Factory" was about a block away on
one side of us and the famous bar-restaurant "Max's Kansas City" was
about a block away on the other.

Anahita al-shazhiyya