SC - Gridirons (was Historic Liver recipes )

Fri Sep 29 08:11:19 PDT 2000

I believe there is one depicted in the feast scene of the Bayeux Tapestry.
I know there are gridirons in some of the 16th Century paintings, but I will
have to do some digging.  There may be one in the catalog of the Pompeii,
A.D. 79 exhibit that toured the U.S. 25 or 30 years ago.

The ones I've seen depicted are usually rectangular and are a cross-hatched
frame of iron bars on the order of a barbeque grill.  Some have U-shaped
legs at the ends for support (possibly portable gridirons).

I'll see if I can find the references.

Bear