SC - Re: adaptations and such

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 18:39:45 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/29/2000 8:42:20 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< the culinary needs of
 the populace, *for me*, supercede any desire to be letter perfect in my
 recreation.  >>

I do not cook for feasts.  I have no intentions of cooking for more than my
household.  My reason for being on this list is to share information on
medieval recipes.  I think it is important to have a place where one can
learn as nearly as possible how it was done in the era.  For this reason I
think Vehling's translation of Apicius does not meet my needs.  I don't want
to know how Ras would cook a pork butt nearly as much as I want to know how
Le Menagier would teach his pretty young wife to do it. I do not mind the
occasional off topic conversation, but the reason I am here is to learn about
medieval cooking.
As for the culinary needs of the populace, I'm not sure there is such a thing
in this context.  Surely if one goes to a medieval recreation, one expects
medieval food?  Shouldn't it be up to the individual to "protect" himself
from any allergies or nutritional requirements?  As a diabetic, I know that
when I attend any public meal, I must expect the meal to not be the perfect
thing for me to eat, and I make allowances, I either don't eat on-board, or
only eat what I know is good for me, or I suffer the consequences of eating
what I know isn't good for me.  It is MY choice, not the cook's.

Just my two francs.

Mordonna The Cook