SC - Salads in period & artichokes

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Fri Sep 1 15:25:29 PDT 2000

Zajaczkowa, writes:

> > Perhaps it was a renaissance fashion, to eat fresh greens in spring? In
addition to the references you note , Apicius (1st C-4th C AD) has recipes
for salads and dressings, so does Platina (15th C Italian) has recipes and
references and descriptions of salads and their medicinal value. In winter,
there were winter greens (chard, kale, beet tops) in spring more variation.
In every cooking manuscript or work of period that I can recall, there were
salad type recipes. <<

> I think salads were more common than we are giving credit.<
>
> Hauviette

   _ Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery_  Pages 15 & 16: [Karen Hess
writing]  "There is no recipe for green salad in our manuscript.  For those
who think that simply dressed mixed green salads are a relitively modern
development, I give this delightful recipe from _The Forme of Cury_< 1390,
for  "Salat':  Take parsely, sage, <snip>  and mix them well with raw
[olive] oil.  Lay on vinegar and salt, and serve it forth. . .Gerard in 1597
discusses  the eating of raw salads under numerous headings, including raw
artichokes, usually dressed only with olive oil and salt.
Markham gives three pages to salads in 1615 and John Evely, the diarist,
devoted to the subject an entire book, _Acetaria: A Discourse of Sallets_,
1699  . . . .it seems reasonable to suppose that green salads were eaten in
the household."

Just coz I got it from ILL yesterday  and stumbled upon it.

Caointiarn