SC - Written recipes (was: interesting URL - food shopping!)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Sep 1 16:59:29 PDT 2000

At 6:24 PM -0400 8/30/00, Jenne Heise quoted someone:

and then said:

>And of course we get into the question of whether this applies to written
>recipes-- if you had learned the recipe from someone else in your guild
>training, why would you be looking it up in a written copy?

Chiquart was chief cook to the duke of Savoy and dictated a cookbook
dated 1420; he says he has never read a cookbook and given how
different his is from all the others, I believe him. He says he is
writing his at the insistance of the duke. So a top professioal cook
did not think of cookbooks as one of the necessary tools of his
trade. I am not sure who used the manuscripts we have.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook