SC - Spikenard, catnip, costmary and pennyroyal

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 18:37:02 PDT 2000

lizek at antioch-college.edu writes:

<< Pennyroyal should be used with caution, esp. by pregnant women. >>

Yes, I am aware of this But thank you for bringing it to my attention again.
I always recommend posting ingredients list along with my seemingly
insistence on authenticity. :-) When compared to the quantities used in
cookery, I would say that the danger of abortion is infinitely more by riding
in the vehicle to the event than eating the minute amounts used in cookery.
Be that as it may, you are correct.

I never use pennyroyal in a recipe simply for the fact that if it can be used
to rid a place oaf insects (fleas for the European version and mosquitos for
the American version) then it  logically can't be real good for a person. :-)
However, rather , than substitute other things , since we have NO idea of
what a medieval person would substitute for pennyroyal, I simply do not use
recipes that call for this ingredient. Caution on all fronts being the better
part of valor. ;-)

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/