SC - salad & Castelvetro translation

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Sep 2 12:39:09 PDT 2000

Eden wrote:
<< Thomas writes that the germans have many period recipes for salad,
but I must point out that per castelvetro these were hardly fit to be
called salad ;->  >>

Haha. Good point. Yes, since the days of Tacitus, the culinary
reputation of the Germans, seen from the south, was never really a very
good one ... But I guess, Castelvetro's chapter on German salad would
have been a bit more hymnic if he had tasted a few of the 50 RUMPOLT
salad recipes... ;-)
           *****
I think I mentioned this website with the Castelvetro text earlier:
http://www.liberliber.it/biblioteca/c/castelvetro/index.htm

What strikes me, are some differences between the English version quoted
and the Italian text:

" ... where we Italians would much rather feast the palate than the
eye. YOU ENGLISH are even worse; ..."
" ... ma noi Italici abbiam più riguardo di piacere a monna bocca. ALTRI
fan vie peggio, ..."

As far as I can see, there is no mention of "You English", but only of
"others" in this Italian text (based on the Firpo edition in 1974). And
I cannot find anything that comes close to the "footbath of Morgante",
nor do I find anything for "a fate which I fear lies in store
for most inhabitants of this Kingdom" in the Italian text of the Firpo
edition; "è degno" is not "is condemned" but "is worth", "paperi" are
not chicken, but geese etc.

What is going on here? On which Castelvetro text is the translation
based? Could someone please take a look?

Thomas
- -- Altri fan vie peggio, che così pure ammucchiate con sale e solo aceto
in tavola le mandino, onde convien poi quivi porvi l’olio, ché l’erbe di
già abbeverate d’aceto non posson pigliar l’olio; né rimovendole mai, la
maggior parte di quelle si rimangano pura erba, buona da dare a’ paperi.
- -- You English are even worse; after washing the salad heaven knows how,
you put the vinegar in first, and enough of it that for a footbath for
Morgante, and serve it up, unstirred, with neither oil nor salt, which
you are supposed to add at the table.  By this time some of the leaves
are so saturated with vinegar that they cannot take the oil while the
rest are quite naked and fit only for chicken food.
***
- -- and whosoever transgresses this benign commandment is condemned never
to enjoy a decent salad in their life, a fate which I fear lies in store
for most inhabitants of this Kingdom.
- -- e chi contro a così giusto comandamento pecca è degno di non mangiar
mai buona insalata.