SC - German Salads

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Mon Sep 4 14:10:56 PDT 2000

Here are some contributions about the translation Rumpolt's salads.

> 11. Pumpernelle Salat. <<<Thomas, HELP, I have no clue, and its not in Baufeld either.>>>

As Adamantius mentioned, this should be pimpernel.
(BTW, salad of "le cime della pimpinella" is mentioned by Castelvetro,
too)

> 20. <<<Sorry, another one I don't know.If it is a typo (and they do exist) it could be Gurken - cucumbers>>> Peel the Murcken/ and cut them

The word _murken_ is listed in Marzells "Verzeichnis" as an expression
for "cucumis sat."; so it seems, that it is not a typo but a rare
expression.

> 21. Take Biesen <<<???>>> stems/ peel and poach then in water/ prepare

According to Hopf #378 and Marzell, this should be white beets.

> 33. Take a red head lettuce/ <<<or is this another word drift? Does he mean red cabbage??>>>

According to the dictionaries (Hopf, DWb) it is cabbage.

> 38. Krausen (herb???) salad/ that is nicely green.

Hm, _kraus_ is 'curly, frizzy'

> 48. Take white salad/ that in Spanish <<Thomas did I remember that correctly?>> is called lettuce/

Here, "auff Welsch" is rather "in Italian". While it is true that
"Waelsch" was used to refer to Spanish, to French and even as a common
expression for all the romanic languages and peoples, around 1600 it was
used to refer to the Italian language and to the Italians. The strange
ways of the history of words ...

Thanks again, Gwen Cat, for the good work!
Thomas