SC - Moray Eel Spines

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 11:00:39 PDT 2000

I was just working on these recipes this morning (looks like we're in a race
to the finish, Brighid!), and I just had a thunk.  "Espinas", which means
"spines" is also used to mean "fishbone", especially when referring to
sardines.  Maybe he's talking about breaking the rib bones to make it easier
to dress the fish.

De Nola's got some pretty wacky instructions in places anyway; a recipe he
gives for a distilled broth for invalids advises the cook to heat a number
of gold pieces in the fire and add them to the finished broth.  The more hot
gold you throw in, the more the broth will be worth.

So go figure...

Vicente