SC - Andalusian Cookbook now webbed

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Sep 5 18:45:06 PDT 2000

At 7:58 PM -0400 9/5/00, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

>A quick question, though, for Cariadoc and Thomas, probably between the
>two of you I can get some sense out of this...
>
>If this is a new[ish] translation of the same text Huici Miranda worked
>on, in a reputedly inexpert fashion, what new information was Rudolf
>Grewe hoping to include in the translation _he_ was working on prior to
>his death? Is it likely Grewe was unaware of Perry's recent work on this
>mansuscript, or did he consider it somehow faulty? Grewe had stated that
>he found Miranda's work seriously flawed, so had the Perry translation
>and notes not already been published, I could understand the need for
>such a project.

I'm pretty sure that Grewe and Perry knew each other; I believe there
was  talk of Perry completing some of the work left unfinished by
Grewe when he died. Perry was working from both the Arabic original
and an English translation of Huici Miranda's Spanish that I had
organized. My guess is that he did a less thorough job than he would
have in a published scholarly version--at least, I know he has
corrections he now wants to make, although he hasn't gotten around to
sending them to me.

Also, I think the Arabic version Perry was working from was Miranda's
published version of the original, not actual photocopies of the
manuscript, although I'm not sure. Grewe may have been planning to
work from several surviving manuscripts of the book--I don't know if
there is more than one--and improve on Miranda's reading of the
Arabic.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law