Breakfast (was Re: SC - Fw: [CALONTIR] Bread_

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 6 08:15:14 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 5 Sep 00,, that Jenne Heise wrote:

> > > The Northumberland Household Book (c. 1512) has a whole section
> on what
> > > everyone ate for breakfast, from the Earl and his family down to the
> > > stable boys.

To which Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (mka Jennifer Heise) replied:
> > Hm. I'd like more information about this. This is the one reference
I've
> > seen to period 'breakfast'-- I was under the impression that one did
not
> > break the fast until 11:00 or so.. more like lunch.

With great respect mi'lady... regardless of what hour one breaks their
fast, it is still breakfast.  One is breakfasted for their first meal of
the day.  It is my understanding that the idea of "lunch" is more a modern
concept than is break-fast.

Of course, I could always be wrong.  :-)

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier