SC - Weird fish names

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Wed Sep 6 17:45:57 PDT 2000

Vincente wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> I've run into some fish names that I can't figure out.  The editor of the
> source text isn't very clear on them, and I can't find them in either the
> 1729 or the 1992 editions of the Real Academia Espanola's dictionary.

I was struggling with some of those last night.

> Here we go:
>
> Palamida: the editor of the source text cites it as a transliteration of a
> fish called "pelamide" in Catalan.
>
> bisol: no idea whatsoever.

Nanna has already answered you on those two, and her answers match what I have
found.  One general comment on Nola: a lot of Catalanisms seemed to have
survived into the later Castilian editions.  I have found it very helpful to
have gotten a copy of the _Libre de Sent Sovi_, edited by Rudolf Grewe.  The
footnotes and appendices shed a lot of light on difficult words.  I have also
consulted an online Catalan dictionary -- and found a few helpful websites with
Catalan/Castilian food terminology.  I will post the URLs later (I'm at work
and don't have access to it right now).

> saiton: described as a bitter fish, best eaten with the head and entrails
> removed.

I found a possible answer to this one... again, it's at home.  More, later.

Brighid,
.sigless

This message was sent through IDT.
http://www.idt.net/