SC - shortbread/-cakes & salad

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 6 18:58:30 PDT 2000

Debra Hense wrote:

> Being at work and not immediately able to run to my cupboards to
> measure and weigh. I thought the original recipes said a pound of
> flour and a pound of sugar.  Is not sugar heavier by the cup then
> sieved flour?  I mean that's what I thought when I saw the measurements.

IIRC (and I could easily be wrong about this) the original gave no
quantities. I also assumed further that when Cindy (who is normally
quite detail-oriented) and HG Cariadoc discussing what the proper
proportions might be, the only way they'd be likely to disagree is if
the original provided none. Again, I don't remember for sure. Yes, flour
weighs, very roughly, half what sugar does, so two cups of sugar would
weigh roughly equivalent to four cups of flour, give or take a bit. As I
recall Cindy's adaptation called for 1 cup sugar and 3 or 4 cups flour,
which is 1/2 pound sugar and roughly 1 pound flour.

> And wouldn't the baked flour weigh even less than the unbaked?
> So, it seems not unreasonable to assign a two to one ratio for a volume
> measurement versus a weight measurement.

Yes, baked flour would weigh less, but by how much is questionable. The
variables in the weight of stored flour today are nearly as great now as
then, I suspect, considering the whole paper sack thing and
comparatively long shelf life of modern flour.

> So the question is: are we measuring by weight or by volume when
> we are recreating this recipe?

I dunno. I think the decision is up to the adaptor/cook, if the original
doesn't say. On the other hand, it is not necessary to provide a
universal measuring system as long as the target reader knows what the
individual units are. It's only we moderns, who have to figure out what
12 shlabotniks are, who are grateful to see that all the _other_
ingredients are also measured in shlabotniks, when we have no idea what
a shlabotnik really is.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy