SC - Re: SC: Use of Medicinal Leeches

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Thu Sep 7 12:03:43 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/7/00 11:41:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
baronsig at peganet.com writes:

<< They won't take it. I've asked the same question; there's something
 wrong with the blood itself that makes it unusable for transfusion purposes,
 though I can't figure out what. It just strikes me as a needless waste,
 that's all. >>

I'm not really sure "why"..but the "how" might be the problem.  As things
stand now, you can only donate at certain places that can process the blood.
Theraputic bleeds are done on an outpatient basis (or in the ER) into sterile
calibrated bottles that are then sent to the lab for disposal.  They need to
use the bottles so they know exactly how much they are taking out (as opposed
to the blood donation packets that are "approximate" and later guaged by
weight rather than volume.
  Another thing is...why is this person in need of theraputic bleeding?  Any
medical reason for either the overproduction of blood or lack of ability to
break it down would probably render the blood "suspicious" for reuse.

Etain