SC - TI article?

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Sun Sep 10 09:19:58 PDT 2000

    May I point out that the logical solution would be for an article
describing fast, cheap, periodoid, and acceptable (i.e., things that rough,
tough, manly fighters won't look at and go 'eeuuw, that's icky! I don't
wanna eat THAT!') field foods be submitted? There are enough of us on the
list who have enough historical and dietary knowledge, not to mention
experience, to write such an article, or even a series thereof.
    Since the people reading the article aren't as dedicated to period foods
as we, you'll kind of have to slip some of this in under their horizon.
Point out that periodoid is better than glaringly mundane, and that
wholesome, natural foods won't spike their insulin and then leave them limp
as a dishrag when the Twinkies run out . . . usually about the time the
climactic battle occurs. You're always going to have the ones who'll send a
squire out to MacWendyKings for lunch, but if they have recipes for good,
easy, cheap period foods, a lot of them will go for it!
    Having edited newsletters in the past, I'll tell you that in most cases,
ya just go with what ya got. The TI editor isn't a food buff, I'd be willing
to bet, and simply ran a useful and informative article. We, the
cognoscenti, are in a huff over what we perceive as tacky food practices,
but we're also in a position to DO something about it.
    So we should, instead of yelling about this state of affairs, correct
the situation. I suspect the TI editor would be ecstatic at the notion of a
series of useful food related articles, geared towards the utilitarian and
amateur cooks. Keep it simple, use ingredients that are readily available,
avoid the 'ick' factor, and slowly but surely, people will begin to come
around.

    Sieggy