SC - TI article?

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Sep 10 16:33:08 PDT 2000

Listening to Puck list off the foods he was preparing for the sideboard
gave me the thought that it would be nice to compile a list/recipe book
of medieval cuisine that is practical for event camping and
aforementioned dayboard. Specifically, those that could be prepared
before an outdoor event and transported easily, or easily made on site,
as opposed to in a well-equiped indoor kitchen. I personally am still
familiarizing myself with medieval cuisine, and am not always sure what
is pragmatic for cooking in the field, or not.

Then later the idea came that such a collection would make a fine
Compleat Anachronist edition, perhaps two or three. On the face, it
appears to be a recipe book for easy to make field food, quick meals for
fighters, etc. A little less overtly is the fact that they all are
'period' recipes. (on this point, I'm not sure if it'd be better to
include the original recipe on the same page, or list them in order in a
appendix in the back, so those prejudiced aren't immediately aware that
this is 'period' food). Include subject indices by region, major time
periods, and primary ingredients. Present it as an SCA cookbook of easy
to make and/or practical recipes. It just also happens to be
'all-period' as well.

As I looked over the several CAs I have, most run from 50-100 pages.
Allowing for two full pages per recipes, that's no more than 25-50
recipes per edition, give or take for introductions, indices, and
appendices. Surely we could come up with that many once or twice.

Seumas
- --
Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
Bruyerecourt.