SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Sep 11 13:36:41 PDT 2000

My Lady,
I guess I'm one of those who wrote criticizing the article.  However, as I indicated in what I wrote, I had not read the article at the time, and was responding only to the fact that non-period foods were being used...and the mention of the distribution of Twinkies, which, in addition to being non-period, are also not a good idea in this particular setting.

And yes, there were several postings which were critical of the article...however, I believe that if you read them closely, you should have noticed that they all were critical of the non-period foods, not the idea.  Nor did I see any criticism of the lady's service to the fighters of Calontir by providing the food for the fighters.  I also noted that, as the correspondence progressed, we went from criticism of the article and it's idea of using non-period foods to ways in which we could constructively "fix" it.

This was where we got into the discussion of writing our own articles...and possibly a CA.  I was the one that advised the possibility of using a reader to check for period accuracy, etc.  I indicated that this is done for CA's...and I would point out that I have served as reader for two CA's so far...and am in line to read another one (at least) and am attempting to write one myself!  If asked, I would be happy to read articles on those areas where I have some degree of knowledge (mostly Japanese and Chinese stuff, heraldry and cookery).  I feel certain, given the generosity of folks on the list that I have experienced repeatedly, that many others on the list would be willing to contribute their time as well...reading an article for TI wouldn't take that much time, after all.

And, to augment what Ras said, I would not even consider passing on a recipe to this list or in any public forum that I had not tested and fed to at least a few people to get their opinion...I don't even do that for feasts I serve!

I suspect that the lady in question is a friend of yours, and as a friend, you are flying to her defense...as a good friend should.  However, I believe in doing this, you are not giving your friends on this list enough credit!

Kiri